Bali Children Foundation
The Indonesian island province of Bali is famous worldwide for its ancient culture, spectacular beach resorts, breathtaking landscapes that include steaming volcanoes, hectares of terraced, emerald green rice fields, tropical rainforests and the most warm and welcoming people. Idyllic in every sense.
However, Bali’s remote rural communities have been heavily impacted by both man-made and natural disasters and many families are caught in the poverty trap with little or no income. There is minimal government assistance and all education must be paid for. The drop-out rate in rural primary schools is very high. Children frequently have no option other than a lifetime of working on the land.
At Bali Children Foundation (BCF), their vision is to provide an educational pathway for disadvantaged Balinese children – a journey leading to growth and long term sustainability.
Bali Children Foundation supports education opportunities for Bali’s disadvantaged children
There are many children in Bali living in extremely poor conditions where their only option is to drop out of school and work in the fields, as their fathers and forefathers have done for centuries.
These agricultural areas are shrinking with the addition of new and wider roads to accommodate the growing tourist demand for more hotels, villas and restaurants. The children who drop out in these areas have very little or no access to work.
However, with a Bali Children Foundation Scholarship and a dedicated sponsor, these children will be able to stay at school, finish high school, get employment or go on to University or Technical College. With their strong sense of community, the whole family and village will benefit from their education.
The different levels of Bali Children Foundation student support per year are :
Education Scholarships for the most deeply disadvantaged community children
Scholarships include uniforms, books, English and Computer classes, access to youth clubs and half annual school fees paid. Scholarships also include health & dental checks, provided each semester. Children in the poorest communities are assessed by BCF staff for eligibility for sponsorship and then made available for individual or corporate sponsorship. BCF updates you on your child’s progress annually with reports, cards and or letters. Sponsors can enjoy chaperoned visits to meet their children.
Prices to sponsor a child’s education are as follows:
- Elementary - 6 to 12 years - $220
- Junior High - 13 to 15 years - $330
- Senior High – 16 to 18 years - $440
- Tertiary – 18 to 22 years- prices by request.
Children’s Homes Scholarships
- These scholarships are for children from remote locations where there are no junior or senior high schools. Generally these children are not orphans.
- Full education costs, vocational classes and board, junior and senior high school - $550 p.a.
- In many remote Bali communities, the Junior and Senior High Schools can be a long way from home. In these cases some of the poorest families are unable to send their children to school due to the costs of transport. For $150 p.a. you can provide a transport bursary which is paid directly to the family to cover the costs of getting their child to school.
- English / Environmental / Health classes are provided to all BCF students including community students not on scholarships. For those with scholarships the classes are included but those without need to be funded. The classes are provided twice weekly throughout the school year. To fund one community student not on a BCF scholarship, the classes costs $35 per year.
- Computer - Entrepreneurial & Business classes. Despite our modern reliance on computing for everyday life many of Bali’s schools have no computer facilities and no practical computer training.
The BCF computer equipment and curriculum is provided to students in junior and senior high school for one hour per week throughout the school year and costs $35 per student per year.
Bali Children Foundation website http://www.balichildrenfoundation.org.
Contact Bali Children Foundation:
Bali: Yayasan Samiarsa Seminyak
Bali Administration Office:
Bali Children Foundation
Address: Jalan Raya Kesambi No 369
Bali 80361, Indonesia
Phone: +62 85 100 648 400